[WriteLog] comparison with the competition. input requested

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] comparison with the competition. input requested
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:38:18 -0500
>From: "Eric Scace  K3NA" <eric@k3na.org>
>    Some of the items in your second paragraph are also available in WL,
>perhaps with a slightly different mechanism.
>    Calls typed into the QSO Entry form will go into the bandmap if you hit
>the Space key and the appropriate INI file option is set.

Yes, but will the callsign be automatically wiped from the entry box if you
tune your radio off freq?  Elegant feature of Logger, eh?  With Writelog you
have to type 2 extra keystrokes: spacebar and then Alt-W - I think that's
enough extra to make a difference over a 48 hour contest, besides the
annoyance factor.

>    And a question for you:  Will the Orion allow one to receive while
>transmitting?  To me, that is the key distinction between a
>transceiver with two receiver VFOs and full SO2R operation.

I never said Orion was full blown SO2R, more like SO1.5R - run and pounce on
the same band with an MP, run and pounce on different bands with an Orion;
neither can receive while transmitting.  No, not SO2R.  Another use of dual
vfo/rx is gunning packet spots very fast and efficiently 2 at a time (one in
each ear) rather than 1 at a time.  The point germane to WriteLog is that
there is contesting potential in the MP/Orion that can't be tapped by
WriteLog users and can be with Logger.

73,
Barry N1EU