[WriteLog] Update on FT-1000MP and recorded frequency

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Update on FT-1000MP and recorded frequency
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Wed Jan 22 07:23:39 2003
Scot, et al

I went through this issue when I first got my FT1000mp and thought of using
the dual receive capability (which is pretty poor even with the filters in
place) as a poor mans SO2R.

If you look at the Transmit freq and Rx freq in the Writelog logs you will
see that Writelog  DOES correctly record the frequencies when it sees that
we have set the FT1000mp to split (ie the TX comes from VFO B). What we see
in the Logging Window is just the RX frequency. But the Tx freq is also
recorded correctly

But here is the dilemma. As far as the radio is concerned, everything looks
the same when I have turned on Dual and am actually listening to a station
on VFO B and then contact him. This looks and is exactly like Split. So
which frequency should be logged for RX? A or B. How is the software to
know what the operators intentions are? Am I split and just listening to
the pileup or am I S&P trying to work a multi?

I conclude it is clearer to just switch VFO A and B, make the quick contact
and then swap back. That way everything can be recorded correctly for the
operators intentions.

Writelog is doing all that can be determined from the CAT interface. If the
operator meant something different then make a note in the log and correct
it later!

Jerry, W6IHG