Keyboard Macros - Re: [WriteLog] Fkey users, a Question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Keyboard Macros - Re: [WriteLog] Fkey users, a Question
From: jeflanders@comcast.net (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Sun Jan 26 17:24:12 2003
At 12:43 1/26/03 +0000, Jerry Pixton wrote:

>BTW after several years use I have finally migrated back to a vertical
>arrangement so that my CQ group of keys and S&P group of keys are short
>mouse movements from either of two rtty windows. This is what I am
>optimizing now.

I use only one set of keyboard macros (RTTY memory setup) for both CQ and
S&P, so I don't have to remember which mode I am in except for the final
log keystroke.

And since PED CW practice uses the same basic keystrokes for the main
operations, I can drill on PED and then use WL for CW without reconfiguring
my brain.

F1 starts a CQ string. INSERT sends the exchange. Keypad "+" logs if I am
in CQ, or ENTER logs silently if I am S&P.  These three keys cover 99% of
normal operations. (I click his call with the mouse.)

I have the following ini file settings:

QrzFunctionKey=3
CtCompatibleAccel=YES
SendCallExchangeKey=2

Yesterday's BARTG macros, F2 through F11:

  % %3 %3 W4UK %E
  %D TU %H %E
   W4UK %E
  %D %E
  CALL? %E
  AGN AGN %E
  TU GL DE W4UK %E
  %3 %3 %3 %3 %3 W4UK %E
  NEED SERIAL NR LIKE 001 FOR CONTEST PSE DE W4UK %E
  CQ TEST W4UK W4UK %E

Notice that a space begins and ends every macro.

F11 actually clears the entry box, despite what you see above.

Put them together when useful:

F6+F5+F6 shows him what I have copied for his call and asks him to verify it.

F4 sends my call once. Multiple F4s sends it multiple times, to cope with
band conditions. Same for his call on F5.

F9 sends a long string of serial numbers if he needs a repeat. Preceded by
F5, it forms a long exchange for when copy is poor.

Logging with Keypad "+"  logs, then sends W1ZZZ TU alone. Logging with
ENTER _only_ logs.

  "+"+ INSERT (after clicking on the next callsign) allows me to switch
from one Q to the next during the transmit, replacing the "NOW" macro
operation used by some - you get W1ZZZ TU W2XXX 987 987 W4UK. I don't think
I have ever had the "next" guy misunderstand.

"+" + F1 gives me W1ZZZ TU  CQ TEST W4UK W4UK if I am not expecting another
immediate call.

F8 gets the least use of all. I never press F2 or F3, but they are "called"
by other keys, so have to be there.

The only changes I have to make between contests is to set up the exchange,
so the keyboard overlay never changes.

Jerry W4UK