[WriteLog] General logging application

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] General logging application
From: writelog@W1QA.com (Bob McCormick W1QA)
Date: Sat Feb 22 15:07:51 2003
Thank you to everyone who answered my query
regarding what general purpose logging programme
to consider using with WriteLog.

I received over 50 responses, both direct and
on this mailing list ...

For those who may be interested ...
here's a breakdown of responses:

47% = DX4WIN
26% = DXBASE
12% = LOGic
15% = all others (Dxlab, Prolog2K, WinEQF, Commcat, etc.)

I've decided to try the DXBASE product ...
primarily because DX4win does NOT record
exact frequency (only band) and just doesn't
have the right Windows GUI look & feel.

For the two major products listed above,
here's what I see are the positives (+)
and negatives (-) for each:

DX4WIN 4.6
- NO EXACT FREQUENCY
- not suited for VHF/UHF
- windows positioning & user interface
- uninstaller but NOT in add/remove programs
+ good support
+ used by many
+ cheap upgrades
+ 500,000 QSO's no problem

DXBASE 2003
- big database file (not issue for me)
- difficult to setup user interface
- possibly hard to learn
- BOASTFUL WEB SITE
- NO DEMO SOFTWARE - just help files
+ follows Windows GUI style guide
+ Access database compatible
+ good manual & help information
+ standard Windows installer

In closing, I would like to acknowledge that
I'm not attempting to prolong this discussion
or clutter up the WriteLog list with off-topic
posts ... but just say thanks to all who shared
their thoughts and comments and to summarize
what I heard, researched and decided.

Best 73
Bob W1QA