[WriteLog] Recording a Contest

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Recording a Contest
From: eric@K3NA.ORG (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Mon Mar 3 18:10:21 2003
   From the description in your message, it appears you were recording from the
headphone/speaker output of the FT-1000MP.  The
setting of the MONI switch will determine if you hear your own signals during
transmission.

   If you use the receiver line level audio output (I think this is called
PHONE OUT on a -1000MP) from the rear panel, you will be
able to use the WriteLog Soundboard Controller to set your record levels
properly.  Line audio outputs from most receivers are at a
fixed signal level which does not vary with the AF Gain control on the front
panel.  That means you will get a more consistent
recorded signal level in your audio files.

   The big drawback with line level outputs from most receivers is that they do
NOT provide a sidetone on CW or any other indication
of the transmitted signal.  This is a bit of an annoyance.  Theoretically,
WriteLog could be modified to force a synthetic CW
sidetone or copy of the live audio into the recorded audio file... but that is
probably item #13,247 on the To Do list for the
author!  Another potential workaround is to use a relay, switched by the PTT
signal lead, to divert the soundboard's line input from
the receiver to the transmitter audio level (for phone or AFSK/PSK/etc)... and
on CW use MONI and divert the sidetone from the
transceiver into the Line Input.  If one is using W5XD+ Multi-Keyer, a sidetone
on CW is available that could be used instead of the
transceiver's sidetone.

   That said, I find the MONI signal on SSB on the FT-1000MP to often be
accompanied by a low-level distorted pattern of one's
voice.  I think this is due to some RF rectification in the audio stage of the
transceiver.  A choke on the headphone and other
receive audio cables near the transceiver seems to help somewhat.  (This is
noticeable with other transmitters in a
multi-transmitter setup if antennas are close to the transceiver's location,
which is one reason why I suspect some RF
rectification.)

   See also the K9JY website for more details on recording.

   I hope others can offer further ideas.  I'm not thrilled about the solutions
that I've come up with so far...

-- Eric K3NA