[WriteLog] RE: User Port appears to have destroyed aDellInsprion8100

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: User Port appears to have destroyed aDellInsprion8100
From: dick.green@VALLEY.NET (Dick Green)
Date: Wed May 28 12:34:48 2003
I think it may be possible for a bad combination of software and
cable/device to burn out a parallel port. For example, if the UserPort
software happens to hold a particular parallel port output signal high, and
the device at the other end holds the same pin low, then you get a short
circuit. This could also happen if the cable is constructed incorrectly and
two output pins of opposite polarity are tied together. In this case, one of
the three (software, device or cable) is probably not adhering to the
parallel port I/O spec.

The caveat here is that I don't know whether the LPT port spec is designed
to tolerate short circuits. I do know that the RS-232C serial port
specification specifically calls for all pins to tolerate shorts. However,
even the LPT spec has the same requirement, it's possible that certain
manufacturers (perhaps DELL) don't adhere to the spec.

Another possibility is that a design or construction error in your keying
interface circuit could damage an LPT port by shorting the CW output pin. In
this case, even if the LPT spec calls for tolerance of shorts, the spec
would undoubtedly call for tolerance up to a certain current flow (the
RS-232C implementation uses current limiting so shorts can be tolerated.)
Your keyer interface could permit greater current flow, leading to damage in
the event of a short.

Yet another possibility is RF leaking into the LPT/keyer circuit. If the RF
is strong enough, it could cause a short in the LPT interface.

73, Dick WC1M