[WriteLog] networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] networking
From: tgeorgen@lsil.com (Georgens, Tom)
Date: Tue Aug 5 15:43:33 2003
Hi Jim -

Thanks for the info.

My experience with Writelog networking has always been very good.  I found
it very easy to set up and make work.  In fact, it is easier to set up than
Microsoft networking (I have 5 networked computers in my house)  However, I
have always used Win98 computers.  In CQWW last year from 8P8P, we had one
Win2K computer with 2 Win98 computers and keeping the network alive was
brutal.  We easily did 100 reboots among the 3 computers over 48 hours.  It
is possible that there was some RF issues but the prevailing opinion was
that the dissimilar OS's were the problem.  I must admit that I did not get
that involved in the network maintenance so I can't speak with authority.

Since then, computer failures and other events are making me move to Win2K.
My old laptop is still Win98 but I know that the next one will not.  As a
result, I am converting the other computers in 8P to Win2K in preparation.
The first one was effortless.  The second one was a problem that I could not
resolve and it prompted my note.  My fear was that I just got lucky the
first time so I tried yet another computer and it worked fine.

Not being able to discern any differences in settings, I uninstalled and
reinstalled Writelog on the odd Win2K PC and everything works fine now.

It just reiterates my rule of thumb with PC's.  If it does not work the
first time, it never works.  You have to go back to the beginning and try
again.

I know I pose a bunch of questions on this board when I have problems so I
should reiterate that I think Writelog is a very good product and I
appreciate Wayne's patience with all of us.

73, Tom W2SC