[WriteLog] Great Contest

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Great Contest
From: "John Hoaglun" <john@hoaglun.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:01:06 -0600
I worked my first ARRL SS CW contest from my QTH.  I am not much of a CW op
but with the help of RTTYrite and adjusting the filters in my radio I had
great first contest.

I have to say that Writelog worked pretty darn well. I use an Icom 756 and a
Rigblaster plus setup for keying via the straight key port. I do NOT use the
DX cluster during the contest but I did test it out a few days before the
contest and it worked pretty well.

I did notice one problem several times through out the contest.

I had my F3 macro configured to send my entire exchange. Sometimes when I
would run my macro it would key extremely fast gibberish. I would notice
that it was gibberish and immediately hit escape and F3 and it would then
play fine.  This was not a band specific problem,  I was running 100w with
no signs of RFI in the shack, this did not happen at exact intervals... it
was approximately every 10-15 q's before it would happen again.  I don't
think that it was related to saving the log file or other CPU resource
issues.

The computer is a Dual proc 400 MHz workstation with a Gig of ram running
XP.  I have not had any other problems with other programs like XMlog and
WSJT which I run almost every day when I am not in a contest.

Very weird... not huge deal as long I am paying attention to what is going
on... hit the escape key and F3 again it sends just fine.

I have to say that I am extremely happy with Writelog. I would not have
participated in a CW contest with a program like this.  Other than the one
issue that I described the program worked great. In fact I was so happy with
the results that I am going to order a 350Hz filter for my radio so that I
work more of the CW and RTTY contests.

Thanks, JH

John Hoaglun - MCSE
KCØLBT - EN35