Re: [WriteLog] Using USB/RS232 adapters for rig control

To: Barry N1EU <n1eu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using USB/RS232 adapters for rig control
From: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:08:38 -0800
Did you issue magic incantations on both Setup/Ports and Bands/Set Freq and Mode? They must match and you must do Setup/Ports first. Also, you could have invisible conflicts with other programs such as Palm Desktop HotSynch or various FAX programs. They seem to tie up serial ports even when they don't use them.

I am using a 2port USB-serial adapter (no manufacturer name on the box!) that works like a charm to control any two of three different radios. It is always confusing to set those two dialog boxes but once I get the magic combination it works great. Don't forget to hit Setup/Save Configuration after you get it working.

/Rick N6XI

Barry N1EU wrote:

I'm trying to get a PCcables 70607 USB/RS232 adapter cable to work for rig control under WriteLog. The device installed smoothly as COM4 and I configured the port for 4800 baud. WL won't communicate
with my MP (N1MM Logger won't either) through the cable, and the "CAT" light isn't blinking. I've changed its port assignment but that doesn't help. WL works fine via the native COM1 port.