[WriteLog] ADIF --> Cabrillo Converter

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ADIF --> Cabrillo Converter
From: "Bruce Sawyer" <zf2nt@candw.ky>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:53:29 -0000
The experience we just had with the problem in the Cabrillo output for WAE
RTTY does lead me to wonder why each software logging program needs to have
its own Cabrillo generator.  One of the first things I noticed after the
problem was discovered with "T" being changed to "0" in the QTC records of
the Cabrillo output was that the ADIF output from Writelog did not have this
problem and appeared to be correct.  I can see no information in a Cabrillo
file for the log itself which is not also included in the ADIF output.  Thus
it would seem that the most efficient use of everybody's time would be for
each logging vendor to concentrate on generating correct ADIF output and
then have one vendor source for a filter (to use Unix terminology) which
would take an ADIF file and rewrite it as a Cabrillo file.  There would
still be the need for that program to solicit information about name,
address, contest club, soapbox comments, etc.  But I think the ADIF input
file would have all of the other information needed.

I frequently switch back and forth between WriteLog, TRlog, and CT according
to what contest and what mode I'm operating.  (And also according to the
whims of other people operating with me when I do a multi-op effort.)  With
just these three programs, I find myself constantly fumbling with updates as
the contest robots become progressively more obnoxious in their demands
about the Cabrillo content.  I realize such a move would require cooperation
among the logging software vendors, and there is always the question of who
would provide the Cabrillo generator.  But they all cooperated in the
generation of the Cabrillo specification, so such a move wouldn't break new
ground.

Bruce, ZF2NT