Re: [WriteLog] RFI

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] RFI
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:08:19 +0000
Barry Merrill wrote:
I completely disagree with your claim:

"The ferrite chokes ARE a good idea, but not necessarily on the network cables.
For HF, you need a lot of turns around one of the bigger toroids commonly
used for baluns (#43 material). The clamp-on chokes won't do much below VHF."

As I've reported numerous times, the sole source of cw keying lockup with Writelog and PC generated CW in my second story radio shack was the LAN cable to the ThinkPad, and five snap-on ferrites on the LAN cable at the Thinkpad eliminated the rfi.

specifically, http://www.surplussales.com/FerSplit-1.html

 (currently $6.95 per pair of the 1/2 inch),
 "All made with 43 material, effective DC-200 MHz".

RFI hit the computer at about 275 watts output from the Alpha; each snap-on ferrite I added raised the threshold of rfi by about 300 watts before lockup, so with five I can run full 1500 watt output.

These two contradictory experiences show what we all know about RFI - every situation is different.

Barry was probably fortunate to have a "soft target" problem that could be cured by a few snap-on beads; but there may be many other, harder, cases where Jim would be right about needing several turns on a much larger core.

Keep an open mind.

One of the best tools for solving RFI problems is a clip-on RF current meter - details on my website. It lets you *see* where the RF currents are going, and how effective your ferrites etc are in stopping them.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                           Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'