Re: [WriteLog] Rotor control????

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rotor control????
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 05:28:58 -0700
I use the board from Idiom Press (W9KNI) in my G-2800SDX.  I use it with
Writelog and DXbase and like it a lot.

The DXbase implementation is especially nice.  You can also get the bearing
from a DX spot without the call being entered into the log (or QSO window in
WL).  You can select either short or long path, enter a specific bearing
easily, and "bump" the rotor clockwise or CCW by a user-selectable number of
degrees.  It has a user-selectable offset from north, which is handy if wind
has turned your antenna but you haven't climbed the tower to turn it back or
if your antenna is intentionally offset (e.g., 90 or 180 degrees).  It also
has a separate set of menu icons.  DXbase has the option of controlling two
rotors (and two radios as does WL).

Having those features in WL too would be very nice.   A benefit is being
able to move the rotor control unit farther from the operator, saving the
nearby space for something else.  There's really no need to touch the
control unit.

Jim N7US