RE: [WriteLog] WL not saving configuration "right" (fwd)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] WL not saving configuration "right" (fwd)
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:27:38 -0500
> Tnx.  Yes...there is "erratic" behaviour going on with this stuff.

No - its not erratic (the ATL underline thing).

Recent versions of Windows tend to hid the underlining
until you press the ATL key (as I previously posted).

In Windows XP you can change this behaviour:

- Right-click: desktop
- Choose: Properties
- Click: Appearance tab
- Click: Effects ...

Last choice on the Effects window is:
- Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation
  until I press the Alt key
- Check or uncheck this as desired

- Click: OK (close Effects)
- Click: Apply (if not dimmed)
- Click: OK (close Display Properties)

If you're using a non-English version of Windows XP,
the navigation to this setting may be a bit different.

Windows 98 / Windows 98 SE are obsolete products;
support for them are being phased out (starting
30 June 2003 and further on 16 Jan 2004).

Though a lot of people may be still using this
operating system - I wouldn't expect any developer
or software house to actively devlop software for
Windows 98 based systems - or provide support for them.

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.mspx

In another post you also mentioned some issues
about the means of support for the WriteLog product,
and this list.

Sure - there are a lot of BBS systems and other
things that may have more bells and whistles ...
and a lot of *companies* do use them.

But WriteLog, AFAIK, is principally Wayne's baby,
with assitance from a couple of other people.

IMO the peer-to-peer interface here ... with
Wayne surely reading posts and replying now
and then ... is quite sufficient for the product.

I'd rather have him and the other people who
put effort into this - spend their time on
bug fixes and feature enhancements ...
than snazzy BBS systems, etc.

I know there's a learning curve with WriteLog;
it took me a while to understand things and get
it tweaked for the way I want to use it.

> BTW, for some reason, YOUR email just showed up in
> the S O B I G  V i r u s trap filter mailbox on the
> Unix.  I don't have this problem with other "Mailing
> List" (a/ka/ "Refelector") things I subscribe to.
> Only with WriteLog.  This is just too bizarre, man.

Well - I have not seen any viruses come through
this list at all ... of course, I've got some
anti-virus built into the mail server I'm using,
so I would not be likely to see it anyway.

In a different post you noted having a lot of
problems with email, spams, etc.  A quick look
at the setup of the SMTP server that supports
your domain seems to show that it accepts mail
addressed to any address in your domain.  If that
is in fact the case, that just leaves you open to
some significant spam abuse; use of "wildcard" or
"nobody" catch-all mailboxes is usually frowned
upon.  Doesn't make any sense in 2003 ...

HTH
Bob W1QA