Re: [WriteLog] Original Rig Blaster and Voice Keying?

To: "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Original Rig Blaster and Voice Keying?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:18:26 -0600
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:18:40 -0600, Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote:

>Also, I am getting a feedback that I think may be internal to the sound card
>as it is not affected by the mic being connected or not.

Most modern laptops have internal mics and internal loudspeakers. You
may be getting feedback from either or both. Click on the speaker icon
in your Windows program tray, and when it opens, click on Options, then
Properties. You'll see that you can select Recording or Playback. You
need to control both settings.  The controls will vary from one sound
card to another (including built-in sound cards). On my laptop, I can
open this program twice, then set one to Record and one to Playback, so
I can have both sets of controls on the screen at the same time. This
can be a help when figuring this stuff out. :)

To get rid of feedback on record, you may need to mute the loudspeaker
when you are recording. You may also need to disable the built-in mic.
On my laptop, that is done by selecting Advanced on the Microphone
fader on the Recording controls. You may need to adjust other settings
as well to get the right recording levels -- certainly Mic level, but
also the Master (on my sound card, there are two controls called called
Mono Mix and Stereo Mix, and they are all the way to the left).

Also, some laptops have both mic level and line level inputs. The
difference is that the mic input generally has 20-40 dB more gain to
accept the smaller signal that a mic puts out, while the line input is
looking for the higher output level produced by a piece of equipment
(like a CD player, cassette player, etc.) You may be plugged into the
wrong input, or you may be in the right input and have the gain turned
down.

Jim K9YC