[WriteLog] Selecting MkV 500/250 filters in AFSK/RTTY modes

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Selecting MkV 500/250 filters in AFSK/RTTY modes
From: Bryan Preas <preas@parc.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:06:42 PST
The MkV is brain damaged with respect to AFSK/RTTY filter selection.

You can change filters manually by
        disengage the radio from the serial port by using Setup | Ports menu,
then
                clear the check in the Rig column, click OK
        use MPFilters, http://www.qsl.net/va3cr/main/mpfilters.htm, to select
the
                filters you want
        reconnect the radio to the serial port by Setup | Ports menu: check the
                port in the Rig column, select the Rig Type, and set the CommPTT
                drop down entry (Writelog doesn't remember of this when you
clear
                the check in the Rig column). Click OK.

I have automated the process by using Macro Express (http://www.macroexpress.com/, $40).
Other keyboard/mouse macro packages should work just as well.

I have defined a macro to perform the above steps automatically. I press Ctl-F to invoke the
macro. It disconnects the rig from the serial port and invokes MPFilters. I select the
filters I want and right click to dismiss MPFilters. The macro continues by reconnecting
the rig to the right COMM port, reselecting the rig type and the correct COMM PTT entry.

I can change filters in about 5 seconds. Not as good as using a front panel button, but
better than suffering with the wrong filter selection.

I would offer my macro source code to you guys but it is not portable. I have used screen
dimensions (within the popup windows) so the macro only works for my screen resolution.

BTW, I also defined MacroExpress macros for some of the WL setup chores: Register to accept network
connections, Link to network, RTTY Single Tx Lockout, Log which radio makes the QSO,
Setting the Timed CQ key and interval.

These macros (and command scripts) have allowed me to reduce my contest startup time to a
minimum.

Bryan
AC6JT
preas@parc.com