[WriteLog] One networking problem W98/XP solved

To: WriteLog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: [WriteLog] One networking problem W98/XP solved
From: "Steve Gorecki" <ve3cwj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:25:31 -0400
In setting up for FD, like many others, we are running a combination of XP Pro and W98 machines. They are set up as per WL instructions, and in general, everything worked fine first time around.
However, with the XP Pro machine being a "company" laptop, with modified security on it, I did have to make some changes to allow network authentication. (so your setup may not be exactly the same)
In all our testing of setups, we of course are changing network cables, hubs, etc. to ensure all is working fine.
Without getting too technical, I discovered the following: (one W98 machine, one XP machine both working with WL networked to each other)

1) When my version of XP Pro detects a network disconnect, we get the usual "Network unplugged" message on the machine.
2) reconnecting the cable (or a new cable, or unplugging the W98 machine and re-connecting), XP seems happy. Why, we can even still browse the XP machine from the W98 machine. (so MS security is happy) Even browsing from XP to W98 still works.
3) However, the W98 WL fails to re-connect (link to network) consistently, where it had just been working a minute before.
4) Trying WL re-connect from the XP machine to W98 suffers the same failure.
5) Rebooting the W98 machine (possibly re-logon), allows the W98 WL to connect again (and vise-versa), and all works once more.

From what I can see, XP seems to know the network or connected computer was
disconnected, and though the computer is re-connected with the same IP address, XP does not necessarily believe you are the same person. XP seems to want to re-authenticate. With MS Network browsing, this is done automatically it seems. However, it looks like NETDDE does not force a re-authentication. Since WL networking is based on NETDDE, we get this failure. Whether this is within MS code or WL, I don't know. (I suspect MS)

Solution: any network failure/disconnect while connected via WL networking between W98 and XP Pro may require a reboot of the W98 machines to force a re-authentication. Re-logon on the W98 may solve the problem (I did not fully test that...ran out of 807s).

Please remember that my XP Pro machine had a higher than normal security on it (including local policy settings), and your results may vary. However, this NETDDE authentication may be a source of a lot of the XP networking issues.
Hope that helps someone out there.....

Steve
VE3CWJ