Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:00:11 -0700
For me the secret to backing up is to make sure that
all of the files that I have created are located
in "My Documents," and to back up only "My Documents."

If the hard drive fails, I just resign myself to
formatting a new drive, and reinstalling the OS and
application programs from the distribution CD's.
Windows 98/xp usually supplies adequate hardware
drivers to get up and running. It's good for the
soul to start with a fresh HD and a new OS every
couple of years, anyway.

Some programs refuse to store data in "My Documents."
For those, I create a dummy folder in "My Documents,"
which prompts me copy the files into those folders
before I do the backup. Some examples of these, in my
case, are e-mail addresses, Internet Explorer Favorites,
and saved e-mails.

Writelog files store themselves nicely in My Documents/Writelog.

I back up to the XYL's computer over the network. I don't
use a backup program, just Windows Explorer. I also back up
her documents to my computer.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA