[WriteLog] Amazing

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Amazing
From: WI8W <wi8w@wi8w.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:46:27 +0000
I find it simply amazing that when a new version of Writelog, or any other logging program, is released it is guaranteed that almost immediately, this and other mail lists start filling up with complaints that this or that feature is broken in the new version when in fact it is not. Quite frankly I doubt that Wayne or any other programmer would disable a useful feature on purpose. To accuse them of doing so is simply...... amazing.

I have been using Writelog since October 2000, upgraded every version since then and have never had any problem of any kind, that would be considered major. Quite simply folks, I always adhere to the common accepted practice of backing up the program before upgrading to a separate directory just in case, reading the "whats new" sheet included with each upgrade, reading any changes in the manual and testing the upgrade fully. I have never had to use the backup copy to restore the old program after a upgrade because something is not quite right.

I also make it a point if I do discover a problem to first read the manual, the help files and scan the archives of the list to see if that problem has been discussed in the past. You can find the archives at www.contesting.com Generally I get the answer without too much problem. When in doubt....

My latest pet peeeve is the ham who installs a brand new copy of Writelog, or a upgrade, the day before a major contest. If a problem arises (again because they did not read the manual) there is a frantic message to the list requesting help.

Why do that the night before a contest? Install the program a week, or a month early and learn all you can about using the program. Fix all the problems at least a week in advance. If you cannot get the problem solved revert to the old tried and true version of the software for the contest. If the program update is released within days of a major contest make the upgrade AFTER the contest. Do it early and test it completely.

I fully support Wayne and his program. It is simply the best contest logging program out there.

73

Thom WI8W