Re: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer question

To: "Randy Thompson, K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>,writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer question
From: Dennis Mowers <k5ya@gvtc.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:01:33 -0500
Randy-A month or so ago, I posted a complaint that the W5XD keyer would not activate my TS-850 PTT lines. I received several private emails from other TS-850 users that they had the same problem.

I believe the XD keyer PTT output switches are not fully saturated, and as I recall, are only switching to about .5 volts, not quite low enough to activate my PTT inputs. I haven't seen any posts on other radios though.

I'm going to add an external transistor switch that is driven harder, and if that doesn't work, I will add a DPDT relay to hard switch the lines to ground.

Hope to get to it this week. But I wonder if anyone else has actually solved the problem, and how they did it.

Dennis K5YA

Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:

I have a W5XD MK-1100 keyer that I have been using for several years.  It is
a fantastic solution for SO2R!

Getting ready for the upcoming CQWW Phone contest and a guest op that wants
to use a footswitch (instead of VOX like I normally do).  I can't get the
PTT outputs from the W5XD keyer to key the PTT of the FT1000D!

Even when I put an ohmeter across the PTT output, it shows a lower
resistance, but not enough to get the audio tone of my multimeter to key.
So I see enough to believe that the PTT is being switched, but for some
reason it doesn't pass enough current to pull in the rig PTT or even the
multimeter audio signal.

I am connected to the tip and ring (the first two of the three stereo
connector pins).

Port set up has PTT control set to "On LPT pin 16/COMM RTS)".  Have tried
with "All mode PTT on CW port RTS" both checked and unchecked.

Anyone else seen this? Or have an idea of what I should try?

Thanks!

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
k5zd@contesting.com
http://www.k5zd.com