[WriteLog] IC PW1 interface

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] IC PW1 interface
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:02:18 -0800
Just got a new "toy" yesterday, an IC-PW1 amplifier, that I am trying to get
interfaced to the rig and the PC.  The manual says all CI-V addresses should be
the same, as should the baud rates.  The default CI-V address of the IC-756Pro
is 5Ch, but the default of the PW1 amplifier is 54H.  Changing the default
address on the PW1 to 5Ch requires adjusting an internal switch, that looks
like a trim pot, with a screwdriver.  However, in its inifinite wisdom, Icom
neglected to put any instrucions in the manual that indicates what setting on
the pot is needed for a specific address.

It's much easier to change the CI-V address in the IC-756Pro to 54H via the
setup menu, which I have done. After doing this I started up Dxbase 2003 and
discovered I had lost communication between the radio and the log program even
though I adjusted both the radio and Dxbase to 9600 baud (per Icom's
recommendation).  I checked the Radios.ini file in Dxbase and found an entry
under the 756Pro of 0X5c.  Changing this to 0X54 fixed the communication
between the radio and Dxbase.

I then started Writelog, Vers 10.48F, and went to Setup/Ports where I modified
the baud rate down from 19200 to 9600 and saved the configuration.  I then
noticed that the bandmap window is no longer communicating with the rig to
obtain band and frequency info.  Assuming that there is a similar configuration
or ini file in Writelog I searched the Writelog Ham/Programs directory for
files containing the string "IC-756Pro" and got one hit - Wlogri32.dll.  I
assume this file contains the various radio configurations info Writelog uses
to communication with the rig.  I tried opening the file with Notepad to browse
through it, but everything comes up in jiberish.

Am I on the right path here?  Anyone done this before?  Any ideas on how I can
get Writelog back to communicating with my rig so the band map works again?
Should I be trying to edit the Wlogri32.dll file or not?  If yes, how?

Gary AL9A