Re: [WriteLog] Special Wish List Request

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Special Wish List Request
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:07:57 -0800
Jim, VE7FO commented:

> I do understand that what you provided is only an example and that, for
> your purposes, it would be desireable to have the message memory size
> expanded. In particular, you want the .w(av) file names to be long
> enough to make it obvious what the content is. You might even want to
> tag each filename with the op who recorded it. e.g. CQK6VVA.w,
> CQVE7FO.w or, CQVVA.w, CQFO.w or whatever shortened monikers make sense
> at the time. I'm just trying to suggest that 136 chars may not be necessary.

You are very perceptive, Jim. This was an extreme example, and actually your idea of tagging the op who recorded the file is something I hadn't considered. With more and more Multi & "Guest Op" stuff going on, this is now even more important.

Thankfully Wayne enhanced WL to provide for a lot of the nifty capabilities (sorry I was such a Pest about this in the past but really believed in the need). My recommendation just takes things to the next level of future possible uses thereof.

FYI, if I shortened a spacer file name from spc5.wav to s5.wav, I believe what would happen is that if S55AAA were entered into the callwindow, what would play would be:

<space><5.wav><a.wav><a.wav><a.wav>

You might try it :-)

But even with less than 82 characters being used, it is simply a royal pain-in-the-butt to not be able to see more of what's in the field. The current dialog box was sufficient for most CW messages, but we are in a new dimension now with the expanded SSB message capabilities.

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA