Re: [WriteLog] SO2R Setup for WL / MMTTY

To: Aldewey@aol.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R Setup for WL / MMTTY
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:48:40 +0000
Al,

Let me be a little more correct than my previous message. Most sound cards have a Stereo Jack for the Mic In connector. The tip is a mono input for the microphone audio. The ring supplys a voltage for an electret type microphone (which is what most computer microphones are). So if you use a mono plug you would short out this voltage. To use this jack for your dynamic microphone you would use a stereo plug but just connect between tip and the shell ground. However the new Heil microphones for Icom are electret type and can derive their voltage from the ring.

Jerry, W6IHG