Re: [WriteLog] Accross Internet

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Accross Internet
From: Dale Jackaman <dalej@reboot.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:37:29 -0800
Some ARRL notes on 802.11 usage.

http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/HSMM_802.11.html

The only observation I'd have to make on Writelog and wireless is that I'm
unsure of Writelog's recent handling of tcpip, especially in terms in
increased latency issues and the simplex nature of wireless
communications.  In terms of noise there is the odd birdy in the HF region
from the wireless units but no noticable increase in the noise floor and I
have a very quite location to test with.  No interference issues at all
and, if anything, 802.11 wireless seems to have a higher immunity to high
HF RF fields than cabled networks.   I'm tempted to convert to all
wireless for this reason, no cables or poorly shielded
hubs/switches/routers/power supplies to contend with - just the one
wireless unit that can be suitably dealt with as needed.

Dale  VE7GL

Dale Jackaman
dalej@reboot.bc.ca
http://ve7gl.reboot.bc.ca