Re: [WriteLog] Interference found

To: "Jerry Pixton" <jpixton@shentel.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Interference found
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:49:04 -0700
Last winter I had a noise on 160m that did not seem to be the usual power
line noise and which I was having a hard time locating. I converted about a
4 sq. meter Loran loop from a swapmeet to 1.8 MHz, mounted it temproarily on
my car and drove the neighborhood. The loop has a very good null.

I found the source when I returned to my driveway--it was coming from my
shack! The source was the Linksys BEFSR14 router switch. Linksys tech
support (in India) denied any knowledge of interference problems, but a
Topband list member said "Google 'Linksys+noise"". I did--and got ten pages
of references! That router had been the source of complaints--including
complaints to FCC--for over three years, from 160m to 70 cm! Don't bother
talking to those idiots at Linksys/Cisco--you will get nowhere. S--tcan the
boxes and buy something else. I replaced my router/switch with a Netgear--it
generates no interference but hiccups when I run power on 160. My next step
is shielded Cat 5.

Garry, NI6T