[WriteLog] Interference found

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Interference found
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:59:26 +0000
All who responded,

I found my noise generator. Something many of us have in the shack. The
network hubs!

I have two local area networks for the house/shack. One internal for
sharing between computers and one external for access, through DSL modem,
to the internet. Firewalls between in DMZ style. Both hubs, Linksys/Cisco
are generating about a 60 Khz noise (from some sort of switching power
supply?) and are just slightly out of frequency with each other; thus two
tones.

I have been using these hubs for over two years in the other house and
never suspected any noise from them. But I had good outside antennas, not
some dipoles laying here on the floor.

Now to figure out what to do about the noise? Get different hubs? Get Cisco
to replace them? Has anyone else had problems with the Linksys hubs?

Now that I at least know what is causing the noise, I can get back to
wiring the station, HI

Jerry, W6IHG