Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability
From: k4sb@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:38:22 +0000
Stan Staten wrote:

Sounds like a memory leak in W98.  I used to have this problem and found
a utility (if I recall right I was steered to it on the Wl reflector)
that would free up memory.  W98 does a poor job of releasing memory
that  was in use but released by programs.
---------------
I use a utility called System Mechanic 5. As well as recovering memory,
it defrags the memory. Other utilities on the CD are a registry backup,
a "junk" file remover, a "clean up your tracks which gets rid of old
leftover files, a "popup" blocker, and anti-spyware checking.

A ham friend down the street bought the program on my recommendation, (
he uses XP ), and the program had to be started and run overnight for
the "junk" removal. He told me when the program had finished, it found
3374 "junk" files. Things such as .tmp, 0 length files, ect.

It takes about 5 minutes to run the 3 utilities, ( junk, tracks, and mem
recovery ) which could be a problem in a contest. But. if you're to the
point where 98 SE is becoming unstable, it should clear the problem up.
BTW, my hamshack computer is a dual boot with 98 SE and XP on it. 1 gig
of memory, and the program typically will recover at least 150 MB.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Hope this helps
73
Ed