Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY plug in problem

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY plug in problem
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:38:46 -0900
Charlie,
Computer is a Compaq Presario laptop running WinME.  I seriously doubt the
problem is the sound card driver, as the card works fb on PSK31, CW, and
SSB.  It also works without a problem on the MMTTY stand alone software.  It
is only when running the MMTTY plug in with WL that the card apparently gets
overloaded and desensed.

I've played with it a bit more today, with no success.  I feed the receive
audio to the MIC IN of the soundcard from the fix audio output pin on the
ACC1 jack on the back of my IC-756PRO.  Because this is generally too much
audio for the card I first route it to a Radio Shack stereo mixer where I
can use a slider control to adjust the output going to the soundcard.  When
testing the differences between MMTTY stand alone and MMTTY plug in I notice
that the MMTTY stand alone will take significantly more audio input from the
mixer than MMTTY plug in will before the Overflow indicator comes on.
Again, no clue why that would be.

After transmitting with MMTTY plug in for WL, the spectrum display
continuously displays Overload, the tuning indicator is just a blob of white
dots and the audio wave indicator remains relatively flat never showing the
mark and space peaks for tuning.  I suspect RFI of some sort, but darned if
I can understand why one program is immune and the other goosey!  I tried
putting more turns on the torrid core on the input line to the soundcard
,but it didn't make any difference.  I will have to scrounge up more torrids
and ferrite bars out of the junk box and trying adding more chokes on the
audio out to the radio too I guess.  I know AA5AU's tutorial mentions RFI
problems on RTTY so I suspect this is going to take some time to correct

Now to get ready for the SSB test this weekend.  Hopefully there won't be a
problem with that now too!  Murphy lives!
Gary AL9A