Re: [WriteLog] Serial Port Choppy CW

To: w7ry@centurytel.net, writelog@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Serial Port Choppy CW
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:12:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2006 5:40:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w7ry@centurytel.net writes:

Greetings.

I'm getting Writelog version 10.59D set up on a old  IBM ThinkPad 390X
laptop 450Mhz and running Windows 2000.  It has a  built in serial port.
When I use the serial port to send CW, it sounds  choppy on some of the
characters. This is a fresh re-load of Windows 2000  and I downloaded all
of the updates from Microsoft.

I did a search  of the archives and found some stuff dealing with the
parallel port sending  choppy CW but found nothing about  the serial port
doing  this.

Ideas?

Thanks and 73
Jim  W7RY

Jim,

Choppy cw has always been a problem with WL as far as I know.  It  happens
with cw keying on both serial port and lpt ports.  I  believe it is associated
with the cpu being "overloaded" by too many  processes requiring cpu cycles
simultaneously.  You can reduce the  occurrence of choppy cw by shutting down
any
programs that are running  concurrently with WL, such as virus checking
software, but you will  probably not eliminate the problem altogether.

To get around studdering cw problem and the fact that my new laptop  has
neither a serial port or an lpt port, I now use a microHam CW  Keyer with WL.
This device interfaces with WL to provide both  radio control and cw keying via
the computer's USB port.  It works  beautifully, and I can highly recommend it.
 There are number of  microHam products that will do the trick, and the CW
Keyer is just one of  them.  Ck them out at
_http://www.microham-usa.com/products.html_
(http://www.microham-usa.com/products.html) .   I have no affiliation
with this company, other than being a satisfied  customer.

73, Geo...k5kg