Re: [WriteLog] Networking XP and Win2k machines

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Networking XP and Win2k machines
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:34:04 -0600
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:32:25 -0500
> From: georgek5kg@aol.com
> Subject: [WriteLog] Networking XP and Win2k machines
> To: writelog@contesting.com
> Cc: J7OJ@yahoogroups.com
>
> Are there any known problems networking WL on a mixture of XP
> and Win2k machines?  Specifically, should I be able to
> network WL on a combination of three XP machines and one
> Win2k machine?
>
> 73, Geo, k5kg

George,

Just  make sure that your XP machine's firewall is turned off (and any
secondary firewalls as well, Norton, Mcafee, Zonealarm, etc), and enable the
guest account on the XP machine with no password, and make it a member of
the local administrators group.  Make both machines members of the same
workgroup, and you should be good.  2000 to XP will not use the same method
of 2000 to 2000 authentication.  2000 to XP will use the Guest account to
authenticate, so granting it membership to the local admins or granting it
rights to individual shares on the XP machine will enable you to map a
drive.

For Writelog, both IP and NetDDE will require that Guest be a member of the
local admins.

Charlie
KI5XP