Re: [WriteLog] Cut number confusion

To: "Dick-w0raa" <w0raa@comcast.net>, <w7dpw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Cut number confusion
From: "Norm Duxbury" <duxburyn@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:18:00 -0500
Cut numbers have been around for a long time.  They were originated by
government, commercial and weather operators who had long numbers-only
messages to transmit.  By cutting the numbers, they could send much faster
and clear their traffic much sooner.  Those who were receiving their
messages did so on typewriters so they could copy high speed with no
problem.

Some operators, mainly Asian, used full-cut numbers.  A bit of a misnomer
since 4's and 6's were not cut.  1=A, 2=U, 3=V, 4=4, 5=E, 6=6, 7=B, 8=D,
9=N, and 0=T.  Other operators cut only numbers that were dash-heavy, such
as 0, 9, and 1  -- like many amateurs do nowadays.

For contesters, it's more efficient to copy the cut numbers as the intended
numbers rather than converting them later.  But, it takes some practice.

73,

Norm, W1MO
New Smyrna Beach, FL