Re: [WriteLog] Cut number confusion

To: Dick-w0raa <w0raa@comcast.net>,Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Cut number confusion
From: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:24:16 +0000
I don't understand why there's such confusion over this.  CW is
abbreviated all the time:
TU, K, 73, etc.

There are recognized (and some not so recognized) abbreviations for
numbers.  You need to take the symbol in context.  If it was meant to be
a number, it's a number.  For example, 5NN NN = 599 99.  Yes, K = 1000,
and I logged K for all the Ks, KWs, etc.

In the late 70s (boy, I'm getting old...), I did log checking for the NY
State QSO Party.  I couldn't believe it when guys sent in logs with 5NN
as the exchange.  I guess it's more common than I thought.

Dick - WP2Z is a villa on top of a mountain in the US Virgin Islands.  I
guess the call was registered in NJ, but yes, it is DX.

73,
Barry W2UP

Dick-w0raa wrote:
> I agree with you, Dave.  What in the hell does "NN" mean?  I put it down as
> 99.
>
> ATT is 100 (I assume)
> AOO is 100 (What else is it supposed to be?)
> KW is 1000?
> K is 1000?
> NN is 99?
>
> I had one stn that sent me 8T.  I entered it as 80.
> 5TT was 500, I guess.
>
> Several stations sent a plain "K".  I put it down as 1000 Watts as I did
> with KW.  I guess the micro second that it took to send a KW was just too
> much for some of them.  I think CUT numbers should be banned from contests.
>
> There was also a station with a call of WP2Z.  He was sending a KW.  I
> looked him up on QRZ.COM and it was the Island Villa Contest Club in
> Morristown, NJ.  If he was a US station, why was he sending out "599 KW" as
> a report?  It should have been "599 NJ".  Am I missing something?   I hope
> somebody can explain why he was sending a 599 KW if he was state side?
>
> Dick
> W0RAA

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA