Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 50, Issue 29

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 50, Issue 29
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:39:21 -0600
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:43:23 +0000
> From: Ed <k4sb@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] 10.62h upgrade
> To: writelog@contesting.com
>
> JE Brown wrote:
> I wish mine would install.  I have been trying to update from 10.61 to
> 10.62 with no luck.  I have the latest windows installer, and have
> just renewed my subscription.  Ron sent me the address to update from
> and said to be sure to use the FULL update.  No joy.
>

> It seems obvious a lot of people are having trouble with this.
>
> For what it's worth, I always uninstall my present version of WL
> before putting in a new FULL installation. And that includes going
> through the Registry with RegEdit, and removing every single writelog
> entry. Believe me, it's going to take you over an hour to do it.
>
> Also, I don't think I've seen a single reference to the O/S being
> used. I had a problem last week where a new program I installed
> ( System Mechanic 7 ) was giving fits to other programs. I finally
> just formatted the C: drive and started fresh. XP Pro used here.
>
> This is not recommended before a contest. ):>
>
> 73
> Ed

Amen Brother Ed.  Did the same exact thing before installing 10.61.  Control
Panel, Add/Remove programs, uninstall EVERYTHING associated with Writelog,
the program, the contest module add ons, the MMTTY plugin, etc etc.  Get rid
of it all.  Save your wave files and contest files, then delete c:\ham.

Like Ed says, not for the faint of heart, but run regedit.  Did a search for
Writelog, w5xd, and C:\ham.  Removed all pertinent entries.  Be careful
though, there are several that are a waste of time to remove (anything under
the MRU keys) and if you have Kregli's WLEdit, it has everything to do with
Writelog's ini file, so there are several references in there.

After removing everything I could possibly find (don't forget the .ini file,
and the license file in c:\windows), reboot and dump the temp directory.
Then unzip the install and run the new installation routine.

Charlie
Ki5xp