[WriteLog] WriteLog 10.63H install Windows 93SE

To: Cliff Reynolds <cjreynolds@xtra.co.nz>,Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog 10.63H install Windows 93SE
From: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:16:55 -0800
Cliff Reynolds wrote:

I could not load it on to my 98 computor either. No problem with the XP
computor. I look forward to someone coming up with the solution.

73 Cliff ZL1RP

Cliff Reynolds and others like my self having trouble with Windows 98SE
and 10.63H:

I finally got 10.63H to work on Windows 98se pretty much on my own other
than the tip to rename the .msi file.  First of all you need a fully
installed working earlier version.  I had 10.55 full version and the
registratraton code for that version.  Do you have a previous full
version Cliff?  If you don't I think it is impossible  to install 10.63H
on Windows 98SE. I read a lot of bitching on here about support, etc but
by and large I say what do you expect for $30.00.  You are getting a
heck of a lot of programming for $30. However my bitch is that the
program is advertised that it will install on previous windows versions
and the procedure should be much better documented than it is.  This is
rediculous!!!   I think a lot of the problem is Windows and software
protection but I really don't know except it is a pain in the butt!!!.
I have often had trouble updating but this is by far the worst.   I am
not a computer guru but I think a lot of these problems stem from things
staying in the registry.  I get concerned about messing around in the
registry but have done it a few times.  I sure have had a lot of
experiences over the years of uninstalling things but things you don't
want still come back and screw up the new install and this old stuff is
from the registry as I understand it.

Anyway back to the procedure.  I you were like me and messed and messed
you can really get things screwed  up so I would suggest keeping the
older full version exe file but going ahead and uninstalling
everything.  Now run 10.63H  full with the link you got when you
purchased the software.  If you don't do this  forget it!!!  It should
extract four files.  Rename the writelog.setup_msi file to
writelog.msi.  Now run the setup.exe and browse and install into the
same folder you have the earlier, working full version.  In my case
10.55.  For me this was "KEY".  If you just try and install it in a new
directory it JUST DOES NOT WORK FOR ME and I tried everything I could
think of for hours on end.  Rebooting after renameing the MSI file,
unchecking the install files box, etc.  All that did nothing for me.
Continuing as part of the process you will need to delete the old
registration number and put in your registration number for 10.63H.  It
will uninstall the old version and install the new version.  The old
version is now gone and updated to the new version.  It seems to be my
experience of running two versions of WL on the same computer is just
asking for trouble.

I  installed version 10.63H on  3 windows 98SE machines and it worked on
everyone of them.  HOWEVER on  the last two of them during the uninstall
and install process is trashed two .dll files needed in windows\system.
I believe they were oleaut32.dll and mfc42.dll.  On one it also showed a
problem with ICSdch.dll.  I did a search for these files on each
computer and found them elsewhere except I don't know if I found the
icsdch.dll but when I copied the other two it took care of it.    Anyway
I  cut and pasted the two  files into the windows\system directory. I
then of course rebooted.  I  suspect these missing .dll files happens
when the old version is uninstalled.  I was careful not to delete any
files when you get a message that this file might be used by another
program but I got the missing .dll files anyway.

This is how I successfully installed 10.63H on three Windows 98SE
machines.  IMHO as I said above this much difficulty in installing a
program is not very complimentary of Writelog and should be addressed.
Certainly if I were selling a product I would bust my butt to get this
resolved and have all sorts of information available on HOW TO DO IT!

I will send another message on my failure to install 10.63H on my
Windows 2000 computer.

Ed W0SD