Re: [WriteLog] Xmit problem on 80 mtrs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Xmit problem on 80 mtrs
From: Bob Jensen - aa7fk <aa7fk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:10:17 -0800
To Mike K9MI, Joe W4TV & Garry NI6T,

Thank you for your additional comments on my query!  As AL & Mark yesterday
suggested, as did you, and I confirmed, the problem is RF.

Yes, the antenna is close to the shack, and the 80 mtr antenna is not the best
and I need to improve it.  In the past I probably got by but with our very
soggy, wet wx and who knows what else at the antenna, the problem showed up
this week.

It did take a considerable effort for the MFJ 969 antenna tuner to get the SWR
down and that raised hair on my neck, but in the fun of the contest .. I didn't
pursue it further.

I've been an active ham since high school days back in 54 and one of the great
things I've admired about our wonderful hobby is the helpful attitude and
expertise of fellow hams who are quick to help out when problems arise, as you
have .. and that this reflector is noted for.

Thanks to all .. now I've got to fix my antenna :-).  Happy New Year .. hope to
catch ya all in a contest or two soon.

73
Bob AA7FK