[WriteLog] CW via Multi-keyer Ant Rly ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW via Multi-keyer Ant Rly ports
From: "WB1DX" <wb1dx@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:15:34 -0400
Hello,

New to the list here and just getting started on making all connections. Got
the DVK stuff worked out but having some issues with CW and I'm hoping to
get pointed in the right direction.

First, when attaching the paddle to the MK and then from the MK to the
radio, I get inconsistent results. It seems the MK can't handle rapid
transitions between dits and dahs. Like I said it's not consistent. It will
go fine for a while and then get hung up, like when sending AR. Hope this
description is clear. I want to be able to share the one paddle between two
rigs, so I need to get this figured out. Is this related to the version of
the keyer or is it something else?

Second, I'm currently using computer LPT keying for computer generated CW.
This is all working fine. The problem is I have only one LPT port to use. Is
it possible to use the ANT RLY ports on the MK so that I can switch CW
between two radios? If I do this, am I stuck using MK to generate CW and
will I have the same issue I described above? If I read the various
instructions correctly, I "think" CW is generated on pin 17 on these ports
and that I'd have to initiate MK keying of CW. Do I have it right?

I should mention too that I bought the MK used from a fellow club member.
It's the W5XD Multi-keyer. Not sure of the age nor the version. Is there a
way to tell if it is up to date with chipset/keyer/firmware and are upgrades
still available if it's needed?

Thanks in advance for the help..

73, Ken
WB1DX