Re: [WriteLog] SSB wav files?

To: "Scott Long" <k8sm@windstream.net>, "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SSB wav files?
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:14:27 -0800
Scott,

Hal's suggestions below will work too, but there are a few short comings you
need to be aware of with using the Record On The Fly method.  It depends on
how serious you are about using audio recordings for SSB.

First of all, to use Record On The Fly by pressing Shift+F key, your
soundcard must support the function.  Mine doesn't, neither did my old
laptop soundcard.  If your soundcard does support Record On The Fly that's
great, but be aware of its limitations.  You will only be able to record
messages for the F2 - F11 keys (also the F12 key if you go into
Tools/Keyboard Shortcuts and edit the F12 key macro to play a message
instead of its default assignment).

There are 10 additional SSB message possibilities if you use the
MessageShiftPh02 thru MessageShiftPh11 commands.  These are also available
under Tools/Keyboard Shortcuts, but you must assign them to unused keys to
work.  I use Alt+1 thru Alt+0 number keys for this purpose.  This allows you
to create and play the 10 Shifted SSB audio files msg12.wav thru msg21.wav
by using the Alt+n keys.  It's a bit confusing because of the shortcut key
mapping.  The key below shows how it's done.

Alt+0 = MessageShiftPh10
Alt+1 = MessageShiftPh11
Alt+2 = MessageShiftPh02
Alt+3 = MessageShiftPh03
Alt+4 = MessageShiftPh04
Alt+5 = MessageShiftPh05
Alt+6 = MessageShiftPh06
Alt+7 = MessageShiftPh07
Alt+8 = MessageShiftPh08
Alt+9 = MessageShiftPh09

WL's naming of the Shifted SSB function keys is misleading.  As Hal has
pointed out, if you hit Shift+Fkey, you enter Record On The Fly mode which
records OVER whatever is in the normal SSB memory buffers.  To use the
Shifted SSB message buffers you must use the MessageShiftPhnn instructions.

Also, there are additional possibilities that cannot be done with Record On
The Fly alone.  If you pre-record call sign prefixes as wav files, they play
back the other stations call sign much more smoothly.  For example, record a
file named wb0.wav.  Then when you work WB0ABC, WL will play the call as
WHISKEY BRAV0 ZERO+ALPHA+BRAVO+CHARLIE which sounds better than
WHISKEY+BRAVO+ZERO+ALPHA+BRAVO+CHARLIE.

Other ideas are to pre-record a file named question.wav. with the word
"something" in the file.  Then if you miss part of the call enter the part
you got followed by a question mark in the Call field.  Have a F key
programmed with %C.  When pressed WL will say the alpha parts you entered
followed by "something".  A file named slash.wav could contain the word
"stroke" or "portable".  Then the call KH6/WA4XYZ comes out as KILO HOTEL
SIXstrokeWHISKEY ALPHA FOUR+XRAY+YANKEE+ZULU.

Also, WL can play back any audio message as long as its name is in the form
msgn.wav.  For example, in the just completed CQ WPX SSB contest I recorded
a msg22.wav that says "You're a dupe, you're a dupe, QSL?"  This message
cannot be played directly by an F key or by an Alt+n key.  However it can be
used as part of a message that is called by an F key.  I programmed my F3
key as follows:

%C%B<msg22.wav>%B<msg3.wav>%3

If the call is a new one it sends the other stations call sign (%C),
followed by the <msg3.wav file>, followed by the three digit exchange number
(%3).  If the call is a dupe, the part between the two %B's come into play
and WL sends the other stations call followed by the contents of msg22.wav
(You're a dupe!) and ends.

There are many such possibilities that simply cannot be done with just
Record On The Fly.  It's up to you to decide how complicated you want to
get.  In my case, my two grandchildren occupy the bedroom directly upstairs
from the ham shack.  By pre-recording a bunch of audio files prior to the
contest I can do a lot of CQing and contest exchanges late into the night
without making a lot of noise that disturbs them.  That lets the kids sleep
and keeps Grandma happy!  And, as we all know, if Grandma ain't happy, ain't
nobody happy!

73,
Gary AL9A

>To:  "'Gary AL9A'" <al9a@mtaonline.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
>Subject:  Re: [WriteLog] SSB wav files?
>From:  "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
>Date:  Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:23:25 -0000
>
>Gary's method will work FB Scott - but there are much easier ways.
>
>1.  Plug your station mic directly into your sound board - forever if
>you like.
<2.  Take the output of your sound board through a $3 radio shack