Re: [WriteLog] All mode PTT????

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] All mode PTT????
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:55:11 +0000
Thanks to Joe and Jerry for a response,

Yes, I notice now that when I select "PC generates" the option is available.

Following what Joe said, I see that the PTT signal is always enabled on the
Port I choose in Rttyrite for FSK. So I have the FSK keying signal on Txd
and the PTT signal on RTS for that port. This is what I have used from
other programs (not writelog) to get a PTT signal to the radio.

Since the keyer routes the footswitch PTT to the proper radio I also have
that PTT being asserted by the keyer. (I do not have diodes isolating the
two hardware PTT signals. Actually, with the FT2000, the FSK/RTS PTT line
goes to the RTTY PTT connector and the keyer PTT goes in the radios PTT jack)

In the past I have always just had the Comm PTT set to yes (or Sync for the
IC756 Pro II).

So I guess that I have actually 3 different sources for PTT (involving
three comm ports; two of which are USB ports) all operating at the same
time when I key up the FT2000 and VL1000 to send a rtty message. This is
the instant that seems to sometimes freeze up the computer causing a hard
restart of the computer.

Since I have put in a new computer, new radio, and new wiring since this
problem started over a year ago, I am left with either an AC "surge" pulse
from the linear keying up getting thru the UPS to the computer or some kind
of PTT issue where the comm ports get blocked causing the OS to freeze????

To the best of my knowledge, this lockup has never occurred with my other
radio and larger linear running from the same 220 and 110 power circuits.

Jerry, W6IHG