[WriteLog] Solution to USB Comports problem

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Solution to USB Comports problem
From: "Norman" <ngomm@iinet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:43:56 -0000
Hi

I am using Writelog with the MMTTY plugin in conjunction with RigExpert
Standard and Vista Home Premium.    Initially the port allocation was the
standard  comports 3,4,5 and 6 as set up by the the RigExpert software.  Then
one day the allocations magically changed to Comports 7,8,9, & 10.   Changing
to the new allocation worked OH on other software installed on my machine, but
I could not get the Writelog/MMTTY combination to work FSK with the new
allocation.  I tried reverting to the original allocation through Device
manager, but with out success.  I ran a couple of RTTY contests without
Writelog, but its excellent ability as a contest program was sorely missed.

I finished up reformatting the HD and reinstalling everything again (Probably
well overdue) and all was well for a while.   Then the problem reoccurred.
After further investigation, I discovered the culprit was a Windows Vista
optional update called FTDI USB Serial Port.   By using the Vista Restore
function I was able to recover my desired settings.  So all's well with the
world again.

So I pass this snippet on to others who may be having similar problems.  No
doubt the more computer erudite among us may have a more elegant solution - but
it worked for me.

73 de Norman VK6GOM

database 4217 (20090704) __________

http://www.eset.com