Re: [WriteLog] sound cards

To: "K0BX" <k0bx@arrl.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] sound cards
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 15:05:52 -0700
Soundblasters have worked for me in the past, too. I run SB
Live! 24 bit. The only drawback to Soundblasters is that
they generally do not have a separate MIC IN and LINE IN.
One jack does either function, selected by the Windows
volume control (record). For ssb, you can plug in your mic,
but then you can't record the entire contest, if you should
wish to do that. When you go to use rtty, you have to reach
behind the computer, unplug your mic, plug in audio from the
receiver, and select LINE IN on the volume controls. Not
really a big deal, just something to remember. Quality is
great on record and playback, with none of the digital noise
that frequently occurs when using on-board sound.

All of the Soundblasters that I've seen include the
capability for 20dB mic boost, which is required for dynamic
mic elements, such as Heil.

When you install SB software, install just the drivers, not
all the Creative Bloatware.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA