Re: [WriteLog] Soundcards

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Soundcards
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:13:09 -0400
Jim,

Part of the Hardware Abstraction Layer that no longer exists in
Windows Vista and Windows 7 is access to the Mux/Mute/Select
switches on the soundcard mixers.  Without that capability, I
don't know if it is possible for any soundcard to score 7f.

I'm sure there are devices of all three common interfaces - PCI,
PCIe and USB - that provide the needed functionality but since
the SBrdChk program looks specifically for the Mux/Mute/Select
switches, I doubt it will provide an accurate functional evaluation.

Wayne would be the one to provide a definitive answer to soundboard
capabilities/support under Vista/Windows 7.  I do know that switching
from mic to line and back in Vista/Win 7 involves changing endpoints
(virtual devices) - if the soundcard has independent mic and line
inputs - rather the mux/mute/select switches.  Being able to change
the endpoints relies on exclusive access to the given devices.  If
any other application is using either mic or line input, WriteLog
will not be able to use the other endpoint.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV