[WriteLog] MMTTY setup. Seems to work for me.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MMTTY setup. Seems to work for me.
From: "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:52:48 -0000
WriteLog users,
After reading the reflector traffic a few weeks ago, I figured I needed to
do a detailed test of WriteLog using MMTTY. The short story is that nothing
that people reported broken appeared to be broken for me. Here is what I
did:

1. I am running Win7, 64b for this test. I assume that if there are
compability problems with recent versions of Windows, then this one would be
sure to find them.

2. Knowing that MMTTY.exe writes back into its install directory, I first
created a main directory to install it into later. I created this directory
from the user account that needs to run MMTTY later. The directory I created
in this case ws "d:\ham".

3.I Downloaded version 166G from here:
http://mmhamsoft.amateur-radio.ca/pages/mmtty.php
I did an install and chose to install it in "d:\ham\mmtty".

4. As soon as it was installed, I ran that one once and confirmed that it
runs OK in stand alone mode.

5. I also knew that I wanted to try to run two copies of MMTTY at once--one
reading the left channel and the other the right channel of the same sound
board. (Again, trying to find the most difficult compatibility problem).
WriteLog can separately save setups for the left/right radios if you have
two copies of MMTTY installed. So I copied all of "d:\ham\mmtty" to the
clipboard, and pasted it, and got a new directory named "d:\ham\mmtty Copy".
I did not like that name, so I renamed the copied directory to
"d:\ham\mmtty2".

6. Then I installed the WriteLog MMTTY plug-in. I used WL's "Legacy
Installer" for this to make sure it installed itself in WL's \Program Files
(x86) directory. (This step is actually not required--the plugin works OK if
it installs itself in ProgramData, but its more consistent with the
directory structure to use the LegacyInstaller).

7. I brought up WriteLog, started a new log (RTTY Round Up), and configured
it for two radios, Left and Right.

8. Right click in the WL's Left entry window and start RTTY window.

9. Change the TUType to MMTTY.

10. It asks where MMTTY is installed, and I tell it "d:\ham\mmtty".

11. Repeat for the Right radio and tell it to use MMTTY in "d:\ham\mmtty2".

12. exited WriteLog to have a look at what was setup in the INI file

13. I took a look in writelog.ini (in the virtual store:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows
and confirmed that [rttyrite] and [rttyrite2] it was setup to use MMTTY in
the two directories.

14. Now when I bring up WriteLog and then bring up RTTY windows, I get two
separate MMTTY instances, and each can be setup to read whichever channel on
whatever sound card I want (using Option) on the the MMTTY screen, and each
window saves its settings in its own installation directory.

15. I can even File Clone and get a new MMTTY screen. This one, however
shares the MMTTY install with the window that started it, so it starts out
copying the same thing on the same sound card. But it has an Option menu and
can be configured to copy with different parameters.

So in all the above, I did not see any error messages or have any trouble
copying with MMTTY. I briefly tested that it would generated AFSK. It will,
but I don't think MMTTY can be restricted to generate AFSK on only a left or
right channel. So to run two radios on one PC with MMTTY on both radios, I
think I would have to configure the radios for FSK and use a COM port for
each.

So I solicit input from WL users of MMTTY.
What does not work for you?

You may reply to the reflector, writelog@contesting.com or to me,
w5xd@writelog.com

Thanks,