Re: [WriteLog] PC Generates

To: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>, "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] PC Generates
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 03:18:25 -0000

AL9A> I've noticed others with a MicroKeyer II have posted that
AL9A> they are having gibberish and delay problems, but I think
AL9A> all of these have Win7 as the OS.
AL9A> Based on my experience with the MicroKeyer II and Vista Home
AL9A> Premium I'm betting the problem resides with Win7 and not
AL9A> MicroHam.

I'm one of those guys.

I run Win7 Home Premium (64-bit) and WriteLog 10.81f.  The computer is an
Intel "i5" multicore processor. I use a MicroKeyer II, and have WriteLog
configured for K1EL WinKey.  The serial port (really a USB "fake" comport)
shows up on Device Manager as "ULTIMA Virtual Serial Port (COM4)".  The
driver is "evserial.sys" version 6.2.41.0 from Ultima Software.

The problem is a bit more subtle than "gibberish".  In my case (just seen
this past weekend in SSCW) after some period of time (typically a half hour
of running, or longer periods if S&P) I would notice an occasional dropped
character in my transmission.  These AWOL dropped characters later would
show up inside another transmission, or even spontaneously key out when I
was in receive mode copying an exchange. If ignored, the incidence of
dropped characters increased quickly.

It was as if these characters fell out, and then later found their way back
into the keystream.  The only cure was to reboot the computer.  Exiting and
starting a new instance of WriteLog did not cure the problem, nor did
powering down/restarting the microKEYER-II.

Most interesting to me was the fact that on one occasion when I had exited
from WriteLog and not yet restarted it, a couple of these delayed characters
were keyed out my transmitter. That suggests to me they were "lingering"
somewhere in the OS.

I emergency transplanted an old Win-XP machine into the shack (same version
of WriteLog and microKEYER-II related stuff) and the rest of the contest ran
without a hitch.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"