Re: [WriteLog] Server Busy - Solution

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Server Busy - Solution
From: "KC4HW/Jim" <kc4hw@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:12:35 -0600
AD1C suggested that I share my solution regarding this problem.

I really think it was just some kind of glitch in the shutdown of Writelog
before I downloaded and installed the new version.

Nevertheless after the upgraded to 10.83e and reboot the system,
when I tried to start Writelog it would not start and gave the dialog that
the "server busy" and that something else was running and offered the
"switch to/retry" dialog option.  Upon trying to click one of these
options, the server busy dialog kept coming up and could not get
anything to work.

I had to "CTRL ALT DEL" and select "Task Manager" to close the
server busy dialog.  When I tried to bring up WL again, the same
would happen.

So out of frustration, while the server busy dialog was up I clicked my
WL icon and the program came up and presented the select a contest.
The first time I selected my existing Gen DX log and it would not start.
So once again, I used task manager to end those running activites
related to server busy and etc.

I started WL again and got the server busy, left if open and click the
WL icon again and then selected a new contest (general DX) and went
through everything to set is up, had to reidentify all the comports for rig
control, cw, etc.  Once I had all that working, I then selected FILE,
OPEN and open my previous general file and it came right into WL.
Once there I saved both the file and configuration.  Then I shutdown
WL and the server busy dialog (with Task Manager) and rebooted the
computer.

When it came back up, I clicked my WL icon and all was good in the
WL world at least as for as the problem was concerned.  I have
shutdown the computer several times since then and it has come up
right.  No ill effects, all the QSOs were/are there.

No real hi-tech solution or understanding of the problem.  Sometimes
glitches just happen!

So perhap this will help someone else!  However your mileage may
differ, in that all glitches are not created equal.

Hope to hear some of you in CQ 160 this weekend.

Jim/KC4HW