Re: [WriteLog] More 10-Meter RTTY questions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] More 10-Meter RTTY questions
From: "Alan Marshall" <acm@ultranet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:53:38 -0500
Hi again Don,

Well, the situation I find myself in is where there is no programmed message
for a particular data message sequence as if the full exchange is not
wanted.  For instance I want to send a short one by one call for some
situation but want to repeat my call several times in another, perhaps just
sending the suffix to W1 to make sure my contact gets my call correctly.  In
CW this happens often.  My call has CCE as a suffix and many times they get
just the CC and not the E.  In rtty it is not quite the same but with
flutter over the pole you do often get an adjacent character decoded.  With
the call sent twice you can sometimes get the correct one by judging the
signal quality in real-time.  But you can get the same error twice.  Thus 3
times usually will resolve the issue.  But it is not fool-proof.  Anyway
when the signal quality is poor sending the call several times will get it
across.  (I know I am preaching to the choir.)

As you do point out the place where it is rather useful is in general
conversation rather than in contests.  I do use Writelog as my general
logger and there would be very useful.

OK, enough noise!  I just wondered if I had done something wrong like forgot
to set something in the writelog.ini file.  I guess the real answer is no,
it just works that way!

Thanks for the bandwidth everyone.

    -Alan, W1CCE