Re: [WriteLog] Can't TX FSK with XMMT.ocx

To: "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Can't TX FSK with XMMT.ocx
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 07:06:06 -0700
Jim N7US wrote:
> I can receive fine with either MMTTY or 2Tone using XMMT.ocx
> but I have a problem transmitting.  The transmitter stays
> keyed only momentarily, though I do see the contents of a
> RTTY message displayed as if it were sent.  This is true for
> both MMTTY and 2Tone with XMMT.ocx.
>
> Transmitting is fine with the MMTTY plug-in.

For FSK, you have two choices:

1.  Use Rttyrite FSK by selecting a COM port number on the Rttyrite Port
menu.  This will be the COM port where your FSK/PTT keying interface is
connected.  (Or, the virtual COM port that your MicroHAM product uses, for
example.)

2.  Use MMTTY FSK by selecting None on the Rttyrite Ports menu and then set
your COM port number in the MMTTY Option/Setup/TX window along with checking
COM TxD on the Misc window.  If you have a COM port number selected on the
Rttyrite Port menu, then any of these FSK settings in MMTTY will be ignored.

Note: There is no FSK capability in 2Tone, so you must use Rttyrite FSK
(alternative 1. above) if 2Tone is your main decoder, i.e., not a Clone
receive-only decoder.  There is a pseudo-FSK choice in 2Tone, but it
requires a special keying interface independent of any other you might have
such as integrated into a MicroHAM product.

For AFSK, select None on the Rttyrite Ports menu and then setup AFSK in
whichever decoder is your main (non-Clone) Rttyrite window.

> Is the consensus that 2Tone set for 1st/Normal is the best
> setting most of the time?

These choices are still being anecdotally discovered by users, but the
consensus is that 2nd and Normal are the best for most situations.  The way
to compare is to have additional Clone receive-only windows with different
settings so you can experience what they all do on the same signal in the
same band conditions.  Over time you will develop a feel for what works
best.  After we all accumulate thousands of hours, some rules-of-thumb and
recommendations (and lots of opinions!) will emerge.

Ed W0YK