Re: [WriteLog] Request for Assistance

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Request for Assistance
From: Kostas SV1DPI <sv1dpi@otenet.gr>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 01:34:19 +0300
Hello Dick
if you use pkt-lsb, you use AFSK. A common mistake is the mic gain alignment. Are you sure that mic gain is properly aligned? Maybe you need ti increase either micgain either output of your soundcard. Low audio can have as result low pwr in afsk

73 Kostas, SV1DPI

Στις 7/4/2013 23:37, ο/η DickT-W0RAA έγραψε:
I've used the WriteLog reflector more in the past few days than I have in
years.

I have a problem that I'd like to see if anybody can help.  So this is
directed at the WriteLog and FT-950 reflectors.

I am using a Yaesu FT-950 and a SignaLink USB Interface.  Also in the
mix is an LDG AT-600 ProII Auto-tuner and M-600 Meter.

Yesterday, while in the EA RTTY contest, I noticed that my FT-950 had
dropped to only 5 watts of output power.  I have been running digital
modes (RTTY, PSK, etc) in PKT|LSB mode with no problems.

When I switch over to PKT|USB I get the same results, 5 watts out as
opposed to my normal 80-100 watts.  If I switch to SSB or CW with my
950 I have full power out.  If I switch to RTTY|LSB or RTTY|USB I get
full output, but only a steady carrier, no diddle.

Based on my not so technical diagnosis I am beginning to think I have
a problem with my SigbaLink USB Interface.

Now my question:  I anybody on either reflector running a Yaesu FT-950
with a SignaLink USB in RTTY|LSB or RTTY|USB mode?  If so, what
do you use for Menu Settings in the FT-950 that allows RTTY|LSB or
RTTY|USB operation?  As I stated above, I can only get a steady tone
out and no diddle.  I can make contacts using the PKT|LSB mode I
normally use, but at my age, life is too short for QRP.  Hi Hi.

I am trying to find a local ham that may have a SignaLink I could
borrow for an hour or so to see if it's my SignaLink or my FT-950 that
has a problem.  I really don't think it's he 950, as every mode has
full power output except when I am using PKT|LSB for digital comm-
unications.

If I could get the 950 to decode and transmit a proper digital signal
using RTTY|USB or RTTY|LSB mode I wouldn't be real conceerned,
but I have tried using those modes with no success.

I have a feeling that there is somebody using the same equipment as
I use, that can help or tell me what to do to get things operating like
they should.

Hope to hear from somebody.  Help!!!!!

73,

Dick - W0RAA