Re: [WriteLog] LPT for MK2R or similar on Win 7 or Win8 ?

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] LPT for MK2R or similar on Win 7 or Win8 ?
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:59:13 -0400
Den

I was a fairly early adopter of the MK2R+ upgrding from another brand that
used the LPT port for its functionality. I used it with XP first with LPT
as at the time I wasn't convinced about the whole USB what with what seemed
like all sorts of reliability issues with USB at the time -  and it felt
comfortable depending on what had worked in the past.

A short while after, having had to upgrade a computer motherboard, the lpt
port was no longer an option and I moved to implement the USB and realised
that it worked and frankly worked seamlessly with no problems.

I then upgraded to Win 7 64 and again no problems and that's been through
many a contest battle in SSB and RTTY with a bit of CW too.

It does make sense however to have a look at the proven configurations. I
even print them and add them to the "manual" so I can quickly do any
necessary reconfigurations even if my internet is down.

GL but MK2R+ is outstanding and even though lpt has been with us reliably
over the years, USB is the current and the future and is quite reliable to
boot. Indeed I do have other USB-based Micro-ham devices on my computer and
it all works wonderfully well - but its not "intuitive" this is one area
where you do need in my view the various references - manual, configuration
diagrams/recommendations etc.

Regards,

Dean - 8P6SH

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:

> It means that Writelog does not support LPT interface with 64 bit
> versions of Windows.  MK2R+ *works just fine* with Windows 7 and
> Windows 8 using the USB interface - including WriteLog.  Follow the
> tested/proven configuration instructions on the web site.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 7/16/2013 11:37 PM, ln5o@la6fja.eu wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe
>>
>> it mean that MK2R cannot be used in Windows 7? Only in Windows XP still?
>> 73s LA6FJA Rag
>>

>> Den ons, juli 17, 2013, 05:24 skrev Joe Subich, W4TV:
>>

>>> WriteLog does not support LPT with Windows 7 or 8 (at least in
>>> 64 bit versions).
>>>
>>>   >  or wired to Microham MK2R?
>>>
>>> Use the USB configuration as documented in the example for WriteLog and
>>> MK2R+ found in the MK2R+ area at
>>> www.microHAM-USA.com/support.**html<http://www.microHAM-USA.com/support.html>
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>      ... Joe, W4TV