Re: [WriteLog] Duplicate qso in log

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Duplicate qso in log
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:35:57 -0900
Jerry,

You don't mention which WL module you are using to log your W1AW/n QSOs, but I suspect it isn't the DXpedition mode module. That module has the Cabrillo export option grayed out, as it isn't really intended to be "contest" module, but more of a general logger. As a consequence there is no ability to create a Cabrillo. Since you have created a Cabrillo you must be using some other module, although I'm perplexed as to why your Cabrillo export excluded the 'D' or dupe entries. Duplicates do appear in the Cabrillo log, minus the 'D' indicator, so that the scoring robot can get all the records and then it will decide which ones are dupes or not. You may not have seen the 'D' flag on your dupes in the Cabrillo, but I bet if you go back and look carefully at the file you will find that those records are indeed there.

Keep in mind that WL is a contest logger and flagging dupes is in its DNA. That's one of the main things it does. I am using the DXpedition mode module to log my CW contacts with various stations working the ARRL Centennial for points. I'm doing that because I am used to using it in the CW mode and it is a much better logger for this purpose than my general logger or even CW Type. (I've found CW Type to problematic. When hand typing in a call, if I only get a partial and send that partial back to get the fill on the missing character(s), CW Type jumps the cursor out of the Call entry box to the main text window for me to send more characters by hand typing. I don't want it to do that, just leave the cursor in the Call box until I can get the rest of the call filled info from the fill , but haven't found a way to control that yet.) Other reasons for using the DXpedition mode module is Rttyrite is a much better CW decoder than CW Get and it lets you log the WARC bands which are normally not allowed in regular contests. If you log a non-contest band in some other WL module you will get a big red 'B' after the call telling you that you are "Out of Band".

So, my suggestion is to use the DXpedition module for logging the W1W/n stations. There will be lots of them on over the course of the next year from various states using the same call, so just get used to the 'D' indicator and ignore it. It doesn't matter! After I've logged several calls for a given date I export them to an adi file and then import them into my general logger. Then I upload that adi to TQSL for LOTW and keep track of my QSLs, etc. in the general logger. Then the next time I go back into the DXpedition module I just highlight and delete all the log entries from my last use and start over with a new clean log. Since I have the previous QSOs in my general logger there is no need to keep them in the WL log any longer.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Jerry Pixton