Re: [WriteLog] Prefill Files - a warning

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Prefill Files - a warning
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:56:37 -0900
Steve is correct that when using prefill files there will undoubtedly be instances where the information coming from the prefill is no longer current. It is my hope to continuously improve upon the accuracy of the data by adding the most current year's results file when made available. I've developed a method of appending the current year data file with the previous years history file and then sorting them and removing duplicates so that the latest data is retained in the file as being the most accurate.

Of course, if someone moves again between contests there is no way to correct that prior to the next contest. If the data field in question is prefilled with the wrong data there are a few ways to quickly correct the situation, hopefully without too much delay. In a contest like the ARRL DX CW/SSB, where the QTH field is always a two character state or province I've found the fastest way is to just quickly hit the Delete key twice and then retype the correct exchange. This is facilitated by WL placing the entry cursor on the first position of the field, so after the two Deletes you are ready to type in the new.

In the case of a longer field involving multiple characters there are two options for a quick fix. First would be to hit Ctrl+W, which works just the way Alt+W does, except it only clears the current field, not all fields in the Entry window. Of course, this still involves pressing two different keys at once to clear the field. A faster method would be to use Keyboard Shortcuts to program an unused key with the command EntryClearField. Then a single keystroke would clear the entire field and allow entry of the new data.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: GW4BLE