Re: [WriteLog] W1AW/KL7 setup

To: "Microham User Group" <microham@yahoogroups.com>, "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] W1AW/KL7 setup
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:25:16 -0800
Problem solved! As a follow up to my original post below I just wanted to pass along the solution to the PSK problem I was having and to thank those who stepped up to the plate with suggestions and advice, namely WriteLog support from Steve N9OH and Wayne W5XD, and our old buddy Joe W4TV who really provided the info leading to the solution.

My PSK problem in WL was identified as a problem with the WL rig driver for my IC-7600 which didn't recognize the USB-D1 mode. When the rig driver saw the "USB" in USB-D1 it defaulted to the USB mode and sent audio wave files rather than text macros. Wayne and Steve suggested I bypass the rig driver and manually put WL into FSK mode. That both fixed the TX problem and identified the rig driver as being the culprit in not being able to send PSK under USB-D1, but left me without rig control when running PSK.

Tada, Joe to the rescue. He suggested forgetting USB-D1 and instead use LSB-D1. In WL there is a setting under Bands called "LSB is really FSK". By checking that option WL correctly sends the macro text in the CW/RTTY buffers as PSK text. This "fix" also let me stay connected to my Com port for rig control. So now I am a happy camper.

I learned some more about WL in this exercise too. The PSK ability is really part of the FSK routines in WL. If you configure the RttyRite "TU type"for "Sound Board AFSK" and set the "Mode" to BPSK, WL will transmit the text in the CW/RTTY buffers fine as long as it thinks the radio is in LSB, which it then treats as FSK. The RttyRite window decodes both the TX and RX text the same as it does for CW or RTTY, including the highlighting of calls from Super Check Partial. Also, when in PSK you can use the RTTY commands in the macros to perform tasks with the PSK macros, such as %E to drop PTT, %R to send CR/LF, %L to log the QSO, etc. The big difference IN running PSK in WL is the PSK Control window. There is no "waterfall" display, but the display looks very much like the CW control window. Instead of trace lines the various frequencies in the pass band show aS wave forms, the stronger signals being taller and wider. A mouse click to rough tune to a wave form followed by a couple of tweak clicks in the PSK Control window to fine tune the RX frequency is all that is needed to see the decoded text printing in the RttyRite screen.

Don't know if I will actually be assigned to run PSK in the W1AW/KL7 operations, but if I am I will be ready with the logging software and the macros!

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Gary AL9A